Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Cost of High Maintenance

On the clothes front, I am not high maintenance. On the shoes front, I am not high maintenance. On the hair and make-up gig, I am NOT high maintenance...well, at least I didn't used to be! My maintenance comes by way of my need to socially construct my knowledge with colleagues and friends, and my desire to know as much as possible to be the best that I can be. I don't have time for clothes, shoes, and hair accessories. About a year and a half ago, I had friends over for a "what not to wear" party. I asked them (all well-dressed and pseudo-high maintenance) to help pull me out of my personal wardrobe nightmare. As it turned out, they found very few of my items that needed to "go." I was pleased to hear my buddies say that I had some nice pieces, I just needed to combine them better and get a few essentials...black jacket, black pants, yaddah, yaddah. I have been slowly collecting these, dare I say, necessities.

Now that I am at my new school, I have run into a few ladies who have given me a few fashion tips. These are ladies who sacrifice themselves for the heel. Ladies with fine coifs and a sassy fashion sense...they picked up where my what-not-to-wear friends left off. Sometimes I'll have something new on, and all I have to do is show it, and raise an eyebrow. They read my brow and give me an encouraging thumbs up, or a "you could wear that with this...." So, I continue my trek toward trying to look appropriate, but I found a cost....unfortunately time is of the essence this evening, so I can't get into it. I've got dinner to prepare and a president to watch. I will finish this tale soon, and reveal my cost for a delving into the high maintenance world...

No comments: