Saturday, January 12, 2008

My Little Word

After being inspired by Jen, Sara, and Kathy's words, and how they would impact them this year, I decided I probably ought to pick a word for myself. This was a hard process, and I'm pretty sure I have my word.
First I thought, commitment, then courage, and another couple of fleeting words, but the one I kept coming back to was PEACE. Not the kind of peace on earth crap the Christmas songs promulgate, but true peace.
In the bible, I forget which verse, there is a passage that says something about peace on earth. The issue is that if you go back to the Greek translation, it means peace for whom God has favor. It demystifies the whole idea of having to have peace around the world....which historically only accounts for a small percentage of actual time, anyway. So, though I am an idealist and an optimist, I don't think there will ever be peace on this earth. That doesn't mean I don't wish there was, but I digress.
I'm not cocky when I say God has favor for me. I know this because when he sent His Son to die for my sins, He meant it, and I have offered my life to serve Him however I can. I'm still working on the potty mouth thing (you could pray for me, if you've got room on your prayer list). I already have a peace within my heart, but I need to capitalize on that and walk a little closer to my Savior. I think that if I keep my focus there, it will increase everything...my productivity, my ability to prioritize, and the poise with which I deal with the minutiae of every day.
So my word is peace--the kind you can get through Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Kathy Douglas said...

I love it. AND I do pray for you, but that's another story. You brought tears to my eyes today. What a blessing you are...and God has blessed you richly and me, too, for allowing me to have you in my life. I was in a rather "thinky" mode today on my blog, too. Check it out!

Sarah Amick said...

I made a post about peace recently. My faith, church, and my history with God has faltered in the last couple of years due to some circumstances, but I see that I truly need that peace that you speak of in my life too. I guess that I wish there was a balance, because church people can be such a let down, and when you get busy and "stuff," you forget.
"Sometimes I remember and sometimes, I just forget." -Mercer Mayer