Tuesday, June 10, 2008

2008 Meinvent, Day 2

"Anal" is a word I'd use to describe my actions yesterday. For anyone misreading the word "anal," I do not mean pertaining to that part of my body, rather my obsessive, anal retentive type of behavior. I timed every activity I did yesterday, and this morning tried to link the activities to one of my goals. Well, I see some err in my ways...no problem...that's what this blog's all about for now.
I decided to time my activities after blogging yesterday (so I have no record of what I did prior to completing the blog.) The thought came to me as I was processing my writing...fancy that...I can have multiple thoughts at the same time and respond accordingly. Whew! I thought I'd lost that skill this semester. Needless to say, I have 747 minutes of activity yesterday that are accounted for. I also did not count the I-can't-believe-I'm-not-asleep-yet time (well, it was 34 minutes to be exact) or the sneaking to the bathroom at 11:12 to count up my minutes for the day (I wonder if there's a connection to why I couldn't sleep.) Here's the rough breakdown:

I spent 43 minutes exercising. Yay, me...I rode Bill's bike (better than mine) around Loon Lake and back. I spent another 37 minutes in the bathroom...getting ready and or attending to necessities. I only petted Scooty (our outdoor kitty) 10 minutes. 27 minues of my day were spent prepping meals; 68 minutes eating them, and another 17 minutes doing dishes. The remining time was spent, socializing with my in-laws, going to the store, and watching t.v. (which can be linked to goal #2 from yesterday, as I was going through catalogs and pulling out any things of interest, which I may give to Bill so he has ideas for my birthday in August.) The remainder of the catalogs were put in the ever-growing recycling pile. This whole process would be a whole lot easier if I weren't as "green" as I am. Furthermore, coming from a post WWII-fleeing-from-potential-aggressors upbringing, waste is frowned upon, thereby keeping me from liberally "throwing things away." No, I have to find a place to use it or donate it...thank goodness for Martha Stewart's body + soul magazine and REAL SIMPLE magazine which help me discover new and meaningful ways to get rid of things (bcause one of my sub-goals is always, put as little as possible into the waste stream.) Now, I'm just rambling.
To analyze yesterday (or analize), I'm including laundry and bill paying in goals #3 and #4 (as I realize that I need to further define the organizing--it's not just for professional stuff anymore,) I spent 64% of my waking day working on my goals.
Today, I stayed up with Bill, just as I said, and already have a couple hour jump on yesterday. I won't be as anal through this whole process, but for me it was important to go through the times and percents. I'm going to continue that temporarily so that I can see where most time is wasted, and how I can tighten up...this will help me professionally, too.
Now that I have spent 35 minutes blogging and re-reading, I will go and make myself some breakfast. I was up a pound from yesterday. I'm sure with all the water I drank yesterday (and yes, I kept track of everything I put in my mouth), and the exercise, I will start to see it go down. But right now, the belly's calling...

2 comments:

Kathy Douglas said...

What are we going to do with you, girl? I know something positive will come out of all that obsessive behavior, but what I'm not sure! Keep up the good work and the blogging. If nothing else, it is a VERY good read!

Sarah Amick said...

Ingrid, I am proud of you! I know that through my weight loss program journaling everything was encouraged because it is visually helpful. It also makes it more reflective. So although it is "anal" it will benefit you in the future. And it will help you professionally, you'll be more productive if you can set goals and then work towards them in tiny steps.