Friday, August 8, 2008

Dedication and Care

Two concurrent things competed for my attention today. The Day Of Caring and the two people who toiled in my office from 9:00-3:30ish. Both were dedicated, and both cared deeply about what they were doing! At the close of my second week at Northcrest, I am (again) humbled.

Today, community members from various companies descended upon FWCS in order to help us with whatever we needed in relation to our (crumbling, in some cases) buildings. These businesses were so generous with their time, that I just have to stand in awe at their I-don't-know-what-to-call-it. I guess commitment would have to be one word. Why would these people posse-up and come to a school system to help? I'm just awed by that. Do they care? Are they FWCS alums? What could it possibly be that would motivate hoardes of people?

The one instance I am directly connected to is Regal Beloit's adoption of Haley Elementary (my alma mater.) My husband works at a plant that designs and builds things for Regal Beloit, and I was tickled to know that one of the companies he works with adopted one of the schools in my district. At a district leadership meeting I talked to the principal of that school. He thought 20 people or so were coming (that was two days ago.) Today, when I talked to him, he said it was upped to 40. WOW!!! Very humbling---thanks. Our community rocks!!

The second humbling experience today was related to the schedule. Rachel and Julie kicked tail and took down names. I saw them get excited, bummed, and everything in between as they solved the puzzle of the schedule. I told them that I was watching them from time to time in awe and amazement. I didn't even know where to poke my head in. There was no way I could do what they were doing. I am thankful and amazed at the dedication to the kids, and the donation of their precious time!!! There is no way for me to repay what these women (and Shelly, yesterday) helped do!!

Life is good when you are surrounded by these kinds of people!

2 comments:

Kathy Douglas said...

Thanks for the update on both Northcrest and Haley! Both my schools! How exciting to know what the community did for them. Thanks for sharing!!!

Sarah Amick said...

You know sometimes we forget that we can't all do this together. It is a team effort.
Are things coming together for you? You have been working and learning for this position for a lifetime. Northcrest is so blessed to have you expertise in dealing with your diversity background, and your literacy training. I hope they know what a gift you are to them!