Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sticks and Stones

Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Our speaker at a leadership meeting today said what I've grown to realize over the years....it's a LIE. It is the words that hurt, not the stick or stone. The message this man brought wasn't new, but I appreciated the manner in which he did so. I was constantly finding myself in his message through his examples. I used to ignorantly say things that would hurt people. Thankfully I've learned skills that not only monitor my language (especially in relation to others), but have also changed my attitudes.

We are all unique. We must seek to understand first and foremost. Since my present lens is one of a new administrator in a new role, I am applying my learning to that position. The presenter, Dave Weber (not the same D.W. we have in the district, mind you), talked about how our tongues harm. My "now" application was a reflection of how careful I have to be right now. Since I'm new to the building I'm currently serving, I've already been targeted with comments that have a negative bent toward someone else in the building. Already I know much about alliances and dynamics, but I must beware that these people who don't know me, don't attach meaning to comments I make. When I'm confronted with someone who is talking about someone else, I feel boxed in. I'll listen, but don't want to engage in the conversation because that's how misinformation gets out. I have a great opportunity, in one week, when we have our first staff meeting. I will get to introduce myself and speak about my experience...perhaps this will be a great time to let people know how I operate, so they know my personal norms.

I'll go to sleep reflecting on Mr. Weber's message, and hope that we, as a district can come together and start kissing frogs. Think about that, will ya? :)

3 comments:

Jen Barney said...

You are already well on your way to being an excellent admin. because you see it, you know it, and you are willing to do something about it!

When you are the big dog.... give me a ring!

Ingrid said...

Ring a ding, ding......

Ingrid said...

Ring a ding, ding......