Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Independence meets Interdependence

After a good part of my day was sucked into a vortex of scheduling, I realize that my not knowing things is just part of my reality. I further realized, as I watched Julie's mind-work (thankfully, she talks out loud while she thinks), that I could NOT do this without her.

As I choked down my humble pie, I decided that this, too, was a reminder that we ARE to operate interdependently in the school setting, as long as we are being as efficient as possible. Part of the issues we face while trying to coordinate the mandated contract specials and the grant mandates and the legal mandates with Special Education and English Language Learners is a true give and take of one another's brain power. Right now I'm taking while others are giving. Hopefully my turn will come when I can give.

It's not such a bad thing to realize that I'm in the throes of a situation that will help us all in unique ways. I'm sure there will be other opportunities to eat humble pie as I continue to understand more about my new role, but fortunately, I'm o.k. with that. Model what you preach, I always say. If I can't take it, how can I hope anyone else will?

No comments: